Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac(maybe)

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
Hi, I have a MBP 2010 13'' (Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz), with the NVIDIA 320 M graphic card.
This graphic card has 256 MB shared memory. I wonder if it is possible to increase this amount for particularly demanding applications, as is possible in some Windows Drivers with built-in graphic cards.

It is slightly annoying that even when the RAM is increased to 8GB this is not possible.

Thank you for your help

Dan

PirateMonkey

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
I don't know about that particular graphics card but I know that when I installed 8GB RAM in my 13" with the intel HD graphics card it went from 256MB graphics memory to 512MB graphics memory obviously shared but it proved to be worth it, I'm sure that the nvidia cards are set to an amount though but I might be wrong.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I don't know about that particular graphics card but I know that when I installed 8GB RAM in my 13" with the intel HD graphics card it went from 256MB graphics memory to 512MB graphics memory obviously shared but it proved to be worth it, I'm sure that the nvidia cards are set to an amount though but I might be wrong.

Thats only integrated memory.
This is diff graphic card. It already has 256MB and thats it.

15 and 17in for 2011 had 2 graphic cards.
Intel HD 3000 which you can increase VRAM because they were integrated.
And another was AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB (for highend 15 and 17in) but you cant increase the size on that.

His NVIDIA card is just like the Radeon on this year model.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
The NVidia 320M is an integrated graphics chip using shared memory, contrary to the opinions of some here. Where it is fitted as a secondary solution, it is paired with the NVidia 330M, which is a discrete chip.

It is pegged to 256 MB VRAM regardless of the amount of RAM, unfortunately.

Only the Intel HD 3000 allocates memory dynamically depending on the quantity of RAM fitted.

• 2 GB RAM > 288 MB VRAM
  • 4 GB RAM > 384 MB VRAM
  • 8 GB RAM > 512 MB VRAM

Full details here.

PirateMonkey

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Yeah I figured that would be the case with that card I just don't have that card to say for sure, it's better to be unsure than flamed is what I say lol!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.