shared music across studio?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andy.barron, Jan 30, 2008.

1. andy.barron macrumors 6502

Hi all.

I searched the forums for sync in iTunes etc. but did not get exactly what I was after (I already host single iTunes library's to multiple macs at home).

What I am after is this: at work, there is a bit of a squabble going on as to what to listen to, as some are near to a radio, some listen to their iTunes with headphones & some have speakers. I tried internet radio, thinking this would be an ideal solution but each mac plays out of sync with each other?

Does anyone know of a solution to this, or maybe a way of one iTunes library being accessed throughout & playing on individual macs in tune with each other? Then everybody could throw in some tunes & we all listen in harmony!

Any help as usual much appreciated.:)

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I seriously doubt you're going to get this working well enough that there isn't at least an echo--you're wanting to have several computers decoding and playing a stream of data synchronized to within miliseconds of each other (so you don't hear any echo). Factor in network or internet latency, and that's just not going to happen.

Maybe get an FM adapter and run that off a "music machine", then let radios scattered about play that station?

3. andy.barron thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply Makosuke. Yea, thought about that, just seemed a bit much considering the hardware already available.

No way of running the iTunes lib through all macs internally though that you know of?