Shared music to download onto ipod touch?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cleggers, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Cleggers macrumors newbie

I've just dug out my old 13inch macbook from 2007. It still works pretty well so I'd like to use it as a sort of jukebox. This would mean I could move all my music off my new macbook and onto the old one as I need the hard drive space on my new one! Sharing the music over the network would still mean I could listen to my music on my new macbook but without it clogging up my hard drive.

However, my old macbook refuses to download the new version of itunes (probably because it's so old???) and therefore I cannot update my ipod on my old macbook. I have noticed that I cannot download shared music onto my ipod but I was wondering if there was any way around this? I basically just don't want all my music on my new macbook but still want my ipod to update automatically.

Has anyone got any ideas? Or maybe even a better idea for use of an old macbook ha!

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I have a 2007 MacBook, and I'm contentedly running iTunes 10.5 on snow leopard. What os are you using?

3. Cleggers thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not 100% sure (I know it's silly) but I THINK it's on Tiger, I don't have Time Machine or spaces. When I click 'about this mac' it says version 10.4.11. Whenever I tried to install the latest iTunes it wouldn't work and I'd go round in circles with it. I just assumed apple were trying to phase me out so I'd buy a new mac!

4. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

5. Cleggers thread starter macrumors newbie

Version 7.6. I always updated with no probs and then one day just wouldnt!

6. Cleggers thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried updating it again but it says the package type requires Mac OS X 10.5

7. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

8. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

9. Cleggers thread starter macrumors newbie

Isn't that quite expensive though? Sorry if I'm being stupid, I appreciate your help!

10. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

"technically" yes. i think $130 for leopard, $30 for snow leopard and $30 for lion, although you only need leopard for your needs. not sure if you are able to use the restore disk from your new macbook to install the os on your old macbook. i know with lion, you only have to purchase 1 copy and you can install with all registered computers you own.

11. Cleggers thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeh I dont reeeally want to buy anything if I can help it, I'll try and find the other disk. If not I'll find a way to update it :) Thanks for your help though, don't know why I didn't think of it before tbh.... Suppose I'm just scared of messing about with updates! Knowing me I'll probably cause another problem for myself.

12. Cleggers thread starter macrumors newbie