Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
My M1 Mac is on Ventura 13.2.1. I found yesterday that the Shared Albums are no longer updating on my Mac. To get any updates to share albums I have to go into the Photos app settings and uncheck the shared album and then check it again. Basically I have disable and enable seeing shared albums on my Mac. I get updates normally on my iPhone and iPad.

Yesterday I shared a photo and it didn’t update. I forced the update using the steps above and today someone liked my photo and again my Mac didn’t update. The last time my Mac’s shared albums updated on their own was January 5th when my Mac was on 13.1.

My iCloud library does update, but not the shared albums. I do have advanced data protection on, but that shouldn’t matter.

Any idea how to get shared albums to update on their own?

Reactions: maviso5

Joe Pinacate

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2023
My M1 Mac is on Ventura 13.2.1. I found yesterday that the Shared Albums are no longer updating on my Mac. To get any updates to share albums I have to go into the Photos app settings and uncheck the shared album and then check it again. Basically I have disable and enable seeing shared albums on my Mac. I get updates normally on my iPhone and iPad.

Yesterday I shared a photo and it didn’t update. I forced the update using the steps above and today someone liked my photo and again my Mac didn’t update. The last time my Mac’s shared albums updated on their own was January 5th when my Mac was on 13.1.

My iCloud library does update, but not the shared albums. I do have advanced data protection on, but that shouldn’t matter.

Any idea how to get shared albums to update on their own?
I see the same behavior. I received a shared album with 7 items. After I accepted the invitation to the shared album it contained only one photo. Each time I disabled and enabled the sharing switch (as above) a couple more photos arrived. Eventually all 7.

This could be a bug but its also possible the whole system is just slow.

maviso5

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2009
Kent
I am seeing the same behaviour. iOS and iPad OS are being kept up to date but Mac is not.
I create a new shared album and people accepted but nothing happened (the shared album wasn't visible on my phone or ipad either).
Adding photos via phone phone but they're not showing on Mac.
Definitely a bug.
Just updating to 13.4.1 in the hope that something in that fixes it

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Mine started working at some point. I read that logging in in safe mode could fix it so I think I did that a few months back.

maviso5

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2009
Kent
Mine started working at some point. I read that logging in in safe mode could fix it so I think I did that a few months back.
When in safe mode, did you perform any specific operations, as its still the same for me, even after booting into safe mode...

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
When in safe mode, did you perform any specific operations, as its still the same for me, even after booting into safe mode...

I don’t remember specifically. I think I just unchecked the shared photo album, powered off my Mac, booted in safe mode, shut down, then booted up normally and enabled shared photo albums again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.