Shared photo stream between 2 users with separate Apple IDs?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by andboom, Nov 9, 2014.

1. andboom macrumors member

andboom

My girlfriend and I both have iPhones, each running under our separate Apple IDs. We would like to combine our photo streams so that any pictures either of us take will both be uploaded to one photo stream, and in turn into our iPhoto / Aperture library.

Currently, only my photos are being uploaded into iPhoto / Aperture and I have to plug in my girlfriend's phone and manually upload her photos, which is not ideal. Is there a solution to combine our photo streams?

Alternatively, if this is not possible, is there any way to get iPhoto / Aperture to upload from more than one person's photo stream?

I realise that iPhoto / Aperture will soon be discontinued - if there is no solution to this problem, does anyone know if the new replacement app will support this and when it is coming out?

Thanks for any help!

2. Klatti macrumors member

I don't think it's possible to combine a photo stream with two seprerate Apple IDs.
    You either make your own shared photo stream and manually chose which to upload or you could use a cloud storage like Dropbox or onedrive with the same account and activate camera upload.
    Guess the last one would work.

3. andboom thread starter macrumors member

andboom

Thanks! Dropbox is a good idea, though ideally I would like to achieve this without third party software so that Aperture / iPhoto will automatically import our photos.

I think that combined Photo Streams between Apple IDs would be a good feature for Apple to include as an option in their 'Family Sharing', as there must be lots of families who would benefit from being able to automatically upload all the various family members' photos to one library. I guess unless anyone else has any more ideas we'll just have to go back to sharing an Apple ID like we did before.

4. SnowDX macrumors 6502

Do you both use the Mac? If so, set up your photo library to be in a shared folder on the Mac. Then each have an account to log into the computer. You can then set up Aperture/iPhoto with your own iCloud accounts in your own Mac account. You end up with your photos in the same photo library without having to plug into iTunes.

5. Alonso Quijano macrumors 6502

I don't know how I feel about automatically sharing every photo that's taken in a whole family

Shared Photo Albums are great, but just keeping every photo anyone takes for everyone to see would be invading my privacy