Shared photo stream - data usage

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by MacTrips, Sep 14, 2012.

1. MacTrips macrumors newbie

Hi all just wondering if anyone is able to answer this. I'm using shared photo stream and my free data usage on my carrier went from about 100MB to 50MB. How does photo stream go about data usage in the sense of how much data it uses every time I would share a photo with someone.

2. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

It only uses wi-fi so shouldn't be a problem.

50MB, shop elsewhere. I get unlimited data, unlimited texts and 250 mins any network for £10 ($16)/month. I'm sure you can find a similar deal where you live that offers more data?

3. MkNuII macrumors member

Geez seriously?

I got 225 mins or 225 texts(1min = 1text) + 1GB data and I pay 30€ (~£24,~$39).

Damn Portuguese carriers -.-

4. NazgulRR macrumors 6502

Do Shared Photo Stream photos upload in full res??

5. MacTrips thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont think it just uses wifi because i shared photos with my gf when i wasn't connected to wifi and still worked.

Nah not in Australia, im on pre-paid i get 250 MB free, unlimited text, free calls 7pm-7am and free weekend calls. This is for $35 AU.

6. scottytwo macrumors member

It's an iCloud service. When u upload it goes to the server. Depending on who u share it with, they get the images pushed from server.

U use data when uploading, editing streaming and getting new images from the stream from other devices / friends.

7. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

I want to know too. I doubt it though

8. nutmac macrumors 68040

Shared Photo Stream will share full size photos if photos is taken by iOS device.

If the photo is managed by Aperture/iPhoto, Shared Photo Stream will use preview images, which are generally half resolution JPEG (e.g., 20 MP is 10 MP).

In addition, if you share one photo to 2 Shared Photo Stream, the image will occupy twice as much disk space on your iOS device. iOS does not yet have data dedupe file system.

9. Bilalo macrumors 6502

Im in UK andnthat offermwill only be for the carrier 3 most probably as they have bad reception, just good internet, its what all studentsnget as they depend on texts.

Thats really expensive, in uk, if you pay £47 you get free iphone 5 with unlimited minutes, texts and 2 GB of data 2 year contract and all countries outside usa ans eu are expensive :p come check out the arab world, a normal bill would be $150 haha

10. bushido Suspended

bushido

same issue in Germany, all plans are "unlimited" but most only cover 200 - 500 mb before they trottle u to 64kb/s which is basically useless. if u want something more than 1GB u have to pay big bucks extra

11. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Incorrect. While Photo Stream is wifi only, Shared Photo Stream is a data ambiguous service; both wifi and cellular data.

As for if full resolution photos are uploaded, yes.

12. NazgulRR macrumors 6502

Cool, thanks.

So when you share a photo does it also occupy twice as much disk space on your iOS device? I.e. once in the camera roll and once in the Shared Photo Stream?

And if you then remove the photo from your camera roll, does it also get removed from the Shared Photo Stream? Does it also remove itself from the Shared Photo Stream on the receiver's end?

13. nutmac macrumors 68040

Yup.
    1. Create a Shared Photo Stream album
    2. Settings | About reports 5.7 GB available space
    3. Go back to Photos and add about 100 MB worth of photos from the Camera Roll
    4. Settings | About reports 5.6 GB available space
    5. Go back to Photos and delete Shared Photo Stream album
    6. Settings | About reports 5.7 GB available space

No, deleting the original image from Camera Roll leaves Shared Photo Stream completely intact.

Although Shared Photo Stream is a great new feature, it is half baked. Lack of data dedupe is one thing. More serious is how I cannot remove photos from someone else's Shared Photo Stream (at least just on my iOS device), short of removing/unsubscribing the album altogether.

14. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Let me get this straight, someone shares an album with you and you want the ability to delete photos from their album?

15. nutmac macrumors 68040

I want to delete their photos on MY iOS device. If someone shares an album with 1GB worth of photos, there's no way for me to free up space (short of unsubscribing altogether).

16. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

I see. Thanks for clarifying. That actually makes sense.

17. NazgulRR macrumors 6502

Thanks for the answers!

Some more:
    - Can you edit a Shared Photo Stream after it has been shared? Add or remove photos to it? If so, how does that reflect on the other person's device? Does it add or remove photos as you make changes?

Is it possible to save the photos you want to an album on your iOS devices before unsubscribing from the stream?

Also, if someone's shares 1GB worth of photos with you, does your iOS device automatically download them or is there a download button? I would hate to be forced to receive a huge amount of photos when I am on 3G...

18. nutmac macrumors 68040

Yes. When you remove photos in Shared Photo Stream, they will be removed from subscriber's devices automatically and silently. When you add photos, subscribers will get a push notification, and their devices will be updated automatically.

Yes.

You cannot decline nor delete. And unlike My Photo Stream, Shared Photo Stream seems to work over both cellular and WiFi (and I can't find an option to force WiFi only).

19. NazgulRR macrumors 6502

Cool, thanks for the answers! Sounds like it needs some more work then.