Shared Photo Stream Size wrong

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by SilvanSwiss, Oct 28, 2015.

1. SilvanSwiss macrumors newbie

Hi

I have 20 Shared Photo Streams on my personal iPhone.

The size is a cs. 300KB (Kilobytes). I have completely reset the iPhone to iOS 9.1 and set it up as new iPhone just to be sure, after a few hours the capacity decreased by a good 10GB while having the "shared" tab open in Photos -> so the Photos did download (not all! which is another problem).

I have confirmed this on the iPad at my work and included a screenshot from it as well as from my iPhone.
    The iPad at work has 1 Shared Photo Stream of 50 photos so the size is for sure more than 8KB!

Do you also have this problem?

Attached Files:

2. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Aren't shared photo streams saved to the cloud? I think that file is just the stream's information file, not the photos themselves.

3. SilvanSwiss thread starter macrumors newbie

Well no, they are also! in the cloud. When I am in airplane mode (as an example) I am able to browse through shared photos no problem, so they must be downloaded locally.

4. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

If you can view them on airplane mode, whats the problem? Its probably just saved in a cache.

5. Paco II macrumors 65816

I believe shared photo streams act like iCloud Photo Library in that they don't all download automatically.

6. SilvanSwiss thread starter macrumors newbie

Might be true, however that still does not explain the size showing "kilobytes". Also, if my iPhone downloaded the shared photo streams (at least the photos I look at) then as what do they show up in "Storage" if not in Photos?

7. Paco II macrumors 65816

So I understand, what action did you take to make it download your shared photo stream photos to your phone?

8. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

They show up as kilobyte because thats the config file for the stream, not any photos. The photos are saved to a cache that is deleted in low storage events, so the iPhone doesn't reveal the size or location.

9. SilvanSwiss thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, that might be. Fact is that in iOS 8 all shared photostreams were viewable offline on my iPhone, now in iOS 9 that is not the case anymore. So that makes it cumbersome to look at fotos on the go (meaning: using mobile data like crazy). If that is the case it makes the Shared photo stream feature - which I have been using since day 1 - worthless to me (us)

10. SilvanSwiss thread starter macrumors newbie

I simply would click on 1 foto and then swipe through a few hundred, that makes them download. On iOS 8 they stayed locally meaning when I am in the plane (for example, not having service) I could enjoy all the fotos that were shared with or by me. Now in iOS 9 they seem to be stored only temporarily and delete from that space when I restart the phone or do not use the Photos app for a while