Shared Photo Stream?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by CosmoPilot, Jun 26, 2012.

1. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

This is one of the most important iOS6 features for me. Basically, my wife and I share an iPhoto library so our pics are not dis-organized. However, under Apple's current offering, our wireless solution is for her to e-mail photos to me so it will keep the embedded photo information (MMS stripes the data).

Two questions:
    1. When sharing photos, when the other party downloads a photo, does it keep the photos data (date/time pic taken, geo-location data, etc.)?

2. How long will a shared photo stream stay online? Is this subject to the 30 days, 1,000 photos limit with normal photo stream?

In terms of #2 above, it would seam you could keep photos on photo stream indefinitely by managing them into different photo streams every 30 days.

Thanks for any info you can provide. I'm really hopeful my wife can share her photos with me, and I can then add them to my iPhoto library and retain all the pics data.

Cosmo

2. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

If you save it to your camera roll you're creating a copy so you lose the original time and date. It retains the location though.

I don't think Shared Photo streams will have a time limit because you'd lose all the comments etc.

3. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Okay, but when I download Photo Stream pics to my iMac or MBP (pics taken from my iPhone 4S) it saves all the data. So you're saying Photo Streams shared from others doesn't work as it does currently using iCloud?

If not, that sucks!

4. 8a22a, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

It probably would in that case, if you can access the shared photo stream.

It can't test it on a Windows machine. :(

Additional edit: Just remember it's only Windows XP that doesn't support iCloud control panel, now I have Windows 7 I could do it.

5. CosmoPilot, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Not to sound harsh, but I posed the question because MR has a video of shared photo stream in action. I was hoping a developer with iOS 6 and/or ML could test this out. By your response it seems you're just making an educated guess. If you are a developer with iOS 6 and can create a shared Photo Stream, any chance of testing this?

Thanks

**EDIT**

An individual is sharing a Photo Stream here. I just downloaded a few of his pics, and all the data was available. This is huge in my opinion for families that want to combine their pics into a single iPhoto library.

6. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

Forgot about the web interface. :)

https://www.icloud.com/photostream...

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If you really want to combine everything, you should start a new family iCloud account.

Log into both iPhones and your Mac's iPhoto or Aperture with that account (as the primary iCloud account). Turn Photo Stream on for all of them.

Next, turn off stuff like email and contacts and documents for that iCloud account on your phones. Then add your personal iCloud account into email as a 2nd account on your phone and turn on the other stuff in there that you don't want to share.

This is what I do with my wife...all our photos are combined, but we still have our own iCloud accounts for other stuff (well, except Contacts which we DO want to share and thus us them on the family iCloud).

8. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

is there still a 1000 picture limit for photo stream?