Shared Printer PC>Mac Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bobby2156, Sep 24, 2008.

1. bobby2156 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently installed the Canon MP610 on my XP computer. This computer is connected directly to the router but despite following a few different tutorials, i can't seem to get the printer to work through my mbp.

The first thing i tried was to connect using the windows tab in the new printer services, but for whatever reason, absolutely nothing comes up inside this bar, it doesn't display any workgroups whatsoever. I turned off my firewall on both comps just to see if this was the problem, but it wasn't, and i know the two computers are connected through the wireless because i can access the itunes library between them. I changed the workgroup names so they were both the same, as advised in another tutorial, but this again didn't work.

My second attempt was to use the IP (LPD) tab, i typed in the ip address of the computer and the shared name of the comp but when i go to print, it says the printer is paused, when i resume, it pauses again. I checked the printer queue on the dell comp and there is nothing queuing, nor is the printer starting up at any point. I'm using the gutenprint driver for this.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. bobby2156 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, i went through this tutorial as well before. At the part where it says select windows printing, no network is displayed, despite the fact that the computer is clearly connected to the network!

3. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

For troubleshooting, enter this in the Terminal:
    smbclient -NL [IP address of PC here] {& ENTER}

This should show you "shares" on the PC.

What do you get? (you can cut & paste it)

4. bobby2156 thread starter macrumors newbie

Code:
    	Sharename       Type      Comment
    	---------       ----      -------
    	MP610           Printer   Canon MP610 series Printer
    	IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
    	print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
    session request to 192.168.0.2 failed (Called name not present)
    session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)
    Domain=[BOBBY] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Server               Comment
    	---------            -------

Workgroup            Master
    	---------            -------

5. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

OK, that looks like the printer is visible and shared.
    Are there any other complicating factors here? a second router or wireless access point? Are Mac and PC in same subnet - Mac IP address would also have to be 192.168.0.x.
    Is Windows Sharing On in System Prefs?
    Try Reset Printing System:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/14001.html
    (or in the Printer Setup Utility menu on Tiger)

6. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Printing to a shared PC printer can be a bit of a pain, but I've figured the easiest way to do it. I'll put this in a guide at some point.

1. Find the IP address of your PC - go on Start > Run. Type in cmd and click run. Now type in ipconfig /all and hit enter. This should give you the machines IP address.
    2. Share the printer. Open up Printers and find the one you want to share. Right-click and choose Share, you then get the option of choosing a share name. Keep it simple - e.g. HP, Canon, Epson etc..
    3. Open Safari on your Mac and put localhost:631 in the address bar
    4. You should now have the Common UNIX Printing System web interface up. Click the 'Add Printer' link.
    5. Type a name for the printer, just make sure you don't include /, # or space characters. Again, keep it simple - how about PC for the name? Click continue.
    6. Select Windows Printer via SAMBA from the Device list and click continue.
    7. For the URI, you need to include a username and password for an account on your PC. You then need to enter a URI in the following format: smb://username:password@ipaddress/printer. So for example smb://johndoe:password@192.168.1.7/HP
    8. Choose your printers make, or if you have a PPD file for the printer, choose that. Click continue and choose your printers model. Now click Add Printer.
    9. Done! You now have a list of options for changing the various properties of the printer. The only thing I change is the Media Size (change Letter for A4, as I live in the UK).

You don't need to be on the same workgroup, or domain as your PC, just the same subnet. If you can access the PC's files, then you are good to go! As far as I know these instructions are relevant for OS X 10.2 upwards.