Shared Public Folders Account Privacy for Imac

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by macconvert11, Apr 10, 2015.

1. macconvert11 macrumors newbie

OS X Mavericks 10.9.5

Hello,

I recently bought a used IMac and am new to Apple from Windows--Yay.

I need to protect my activity and files on the admin account from secondary standard accounts I have created for people who are visiting my home that will use the same Imac.

I found this article on different user accounts being able to access same files via Public drop box folders:
    https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18716?locale=en_US

It was very informative but I was wondering if a secondary standard account can see ANYTHING ELSE on the main admin account that is NOT in this shared public drop box.

It seems to me after logging into the secondary standard account and using Chrome / UTorrent / browsing file system that the secondary account can NOT see any files or activity on the main admin account.

So there are no bookmarks or history in Chrome from main admin account on the secondary standard account and no downloaded files saved in Utorrent or no music directory where i store my music on admin account.

Am I right to assume secondary standard accounts can see NOTHING about main admin account unless shared in Public Drop Box?

Thank you in advance

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

If a user were to open finder and then go look at /Users the only thing they would be able to see is the list of subfolders under a user account nothing more. The same thing would happen if a user would open the terminal application and attempted to "ls" a user account.

3. macconvert11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, this seems to be the case.

I logged into one of the standard NON ADMIN accounts and opened terminal application and cd to ROOT.

then cd to the directory folder of the ADMIN account.

it displayed Documents and Downloads etc and the tree like you said but when i tried to ls Documents it said "Permission Denied"

so i guess the only thing a standard NON ADMIN account can view is the directories in the ADMIN directory but nothing within them.

I was wondering then, why let a standard non admin user even view the directories in ADMIN direcotry if they cant see anything in them?

Thanks for the reply!

4. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

One directory as an example. If you make
    ~/Public
    invisible then the drop box will become unusable.