"Shared" suddenly appearing in Finder sidebar...(?)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PimpDaddy, Feb 11, 2008.

1. PimpDaddy macrumors 6502

Suddenly today, after restarting my computer I see "Shared" in the sidebar of Finder for the first time ever on OSX in the time that I've owned a mac. I started with Tiger and upgraded to Leo about 2 months ago.

Also I see what appears to be 3 shared computers under the "Shared" point in the sidebar. How did this happen? As far as I know I've never turned internet sharing on and I've never accepted or tried to search for other computers sharing files or a network.

It may be that the point "Sharing" has always been in the sidebar(?) and I've just never noticed. But still I'm really certain that this isn't the case.

Have I been overlooking this (in lack of better words) menu-point in Finder all the time or is it possible that I have turned this on at some point when I was taking a look at the options in Sys. preferences?

PS. Tried searching for this and I found nothing on this specific topic.

EDIT: This has nothing to do with the 10.5.2 update. Haven't downloaded it yet.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Shared has always been in my sidebar. It shows any other computer on the network that's sharing stuff out. 10.5.1 here

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

The shared item in Finder will not appear until there are other computers on the network sharing files. It has nothing to do with Internet sharing nor the file sharing setting on your own computer, just that it now sees other machines on your network with shares.

4. PimpDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Really? So it's totally random when Finder shows "Shared". Random = When other shared computers appears to be within reach. The strange part is that I can't see any files when trying to connect to the 3 computers.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yeah, they'll show up even when they're sharing resources that your account doesn't have access to. However, if you try to connect to them, you could always specify a different username/password (i.e. an account that did have access).

6. PimpDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Now it's gone again... :confused:

Does anybody know where to turn this function on or off? Apparently it's possible(?).

7. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

In Finder's preferences you can specify which items show up in the sidebar and which don't. Not on a Leopard installation at the moment though, so I can't tell you what to look for specifically. I'd imagine it's something like "shared volumes" or somesuch.

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I've found it appears at random with me. Has done since I first installed Leopard, I wish it would stay put, I find it extremely useful.

Was hoping the latest update would sort it, but it hasn't. :(

9. PimpDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

That's strange! I've been running Leopard since the start of January and then this suddenly pops up and dissapears a day later.