shared video ram - how to adjust in Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tommyprevatt, Jan 9, 2014.

1. tommyprevatt macrumors newbie

I just upgraded my Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro to 8 gigs of RAM from 4.

Now Windows is only showing my 1 gig dedicated VRAM, and not showing any shared Ram. Before it had almost 2 gigs shared.

How do I adjust this?

2. IA64 macrumors 6502

IF you go to start -> type dxdiag.exe

What's the video memory allocated ?

3. tommyprevatt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply.

Now this is interesting... When I run dxgiag.exe it shows 4 gigs for the video card. But, when I open the 64 bit dxdiags, it shows only 711 Megabytes.

What even weirder about that is my video card is a Radeon 6770 and has 1 gig of VRAM.

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

There must have been an error in reporting because discreet GPUs don't share system RAM. That only applies to integrated GPUs.

5. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

You only have the 6770 useable in bootcamp, the integrated is invisible unless you run pure EFI boot mode with Windows and that causes plenty of enough problems with the dual cards as it is!

I believe the 6770 utilises more memory from the main system ram if required automatically but don't worry. If anywhere it will be the ATI/CCC options.

With double the system memory main thing is you have more available for apps.