Shared Windows Printer Wont Print

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SupadudeX, Oct 28, 2007.

1. SupadudeX macrumors member

I have a Brother DCP-7020 which is connected to my Windows XP machine via USB. I am trying to print to the printer with my Mac over my network. I got this working in Tiger by opening the printer setup utility, adding a printer, clicking on more printers while holding down the option key, selecting Windows printer via Samba, entering the information and selecting the driver. They seemed to have change the printer setup utility in leopard, however, and now it doesn't work. I can recognize the printer on the network through the new Print & Fax setup utility. I select the correct driver and everything seems good. When I try to print, however, I get NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED.

Anyone else experienced this or know how to fix this? Thanks.

2. Caiwyn macrumors member

Exact same problem here, using a Canon Pixma MP610. The printer is connected via USB to a Windows XP SP2 computer. I can set up the printer on the MacBook Pro (running Leopard) with no problems, but when I try to actually print I get NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED. Anybody out there have any ideas?

3. Gojulas895, Oct 28, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  4. simmmm macrumors newbie

I have the same issue... When I was on Tiger I never had any problem like that. Nothing change on my PC configuration!

5. chrishenry macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've managed to install SAMBA printer directly through CUPS. Go to http://localhost:631/ then click add printer, follow the on-screen instructions (choose Windows Printer via SAMBA for the device and enter the usual URI--smb://...--there is no need to include username/password apparently, Leopard asked me for that when I printed for the first time).

Hope that helps :)

chris

6. punter macrumors 6502

hey that worked. thanks man! that was a crazy tip, port 631 on my own computer? who knew? thanks again

7. mmzplanet macrumors regular

mmzplanet

Outstanding tip there.... as the last poster said... I never knew. Go :apple:!

8. SupadudeX thread starter macrumors member

Has anyone gotten this working? If you have could you please post the URI that you used?

9. SupadudeX thread starter macrumors member

Ok I just got this working. I had to do smb://ipaddress/printer

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the ipaddress because my router assigns them dynamically.

10. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

100 positive karma for you good sir.:D

11. gschoenthal macrumors newbie

I got this working also, but I would like to replace my printers IP address (actually it is the IP address of the computer that is sharing the printer) with the computers "Host Name".

i.e. instead of smb://192.168.11.61/hp_laserjet i would like to have smb://curie/hp_laserjet

Is this possible? Does not seem to work when I try it. Do I need to adjust a setting on the router?

12. Gojulas895, Nov 5, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  13. WirelessInn macrumors regular

Greetings:

I'll just throw in my 2c.
    Forum participant "Camotec" at

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5852413

has also provided a solution to the printing difficulties encountered under Leopard, especially to shared printers connected to another machine (Windows) on a network.

Here is his advice/step by step - worked for me, finally!

"Hey guys,

I have the solution for you.

Prerequisites: 1. your windows PC with the printer on it needs to have an admin account on it with a single word no spaces. (preferred unix) 2. your printer sharename is a single word (ie. Canon iP4300 should be just ip4300).

Now follow the below steps:

1. Open your system preferences > Open Print & Fax
    2. Click + to add a printer.
    3. Right-click on the Toolbar at the top and select "Customise Toolbar..."
    4. Drag the "Advanced" icon to the toolbar & select "Done"
    5. Click the "Advanced" icon
    6. Select "Windows" from the "Type:" drop down menu
    7. In the "URL:" textbox type the location of your windows printer in the format below (use the format depending on whether your Windows PC sharing the Printer has a password or not):
    smb://username:password@ipaddress/printersharename <- Print Server does have a password
    smb://username@ipaddress/printersharename <- Print Server does NOT have a password
    (eg. smb://barney@125.254.95.101/ip4300)
    8. Enter a Name and Location. (Human Friendly Names with Spaces are allowed)
    9. Now select the appropriate driver and then click "Add"
    10. Try printing somthing and then it will ask for a username and password of your windows server. Type and username and then the password and then add this to your keychain and click OK.

And there you go. Printing in OSX 10.5

Cheers
    Ben Camilleri
    Camotec Web Solutions
    ben@camotec.com.au+
    http://www.camotec.com.au "

Now, of course, i have to figure out how to point my MBP to a shared printer located on another - Win - machine on the network, WITH A DHCP, dynamic IP assigned.

- Roger T

14. Crimsonibis macrumors newbie

DCP-7020 seen by OSX after rename

I've been plagued with the problem of OSX not being able to see the shared Brother DCP-7020 printer connected to a Windows desktop. Like other members above it worked well once and then stopped. I thought there was a problem on the PC end so I added the printer again and changed the share name. With the newly added (and shared) printer on the PC, OSX still couldn't see it in the printer setup utility. Then I tried something that was ridiculously simple that it worked. The shared printer's name was separated by a space and consisted of 13 characters. I dropped the name to 6 characters, eliminated the space and instantly OSX saw the printer. I added it, and wireless printing has been restored.

15. archonium macrumors newbie

I added the printer successfully.

Problem is when I print anything, the printer responds but print's nothing. It just keeps feeding paper through it.

Driver problem?

16. Zebceponaf macrumors newbie

alright I'm going to apologize for being a complete n00b at networkign ahead of time, but this seems like the closet's I've been to by printer through xp pc sharing.

can someone help out? I've no idea what to put in the URI: field.

cheers

17. Zebceponaf macrumors newbie

printer ip address

where do I find this in xp? Is this only if you have your printer connected to a print server? what if it's connected directly to pc?

18. VTSkier macrumors newbie

Printing from Leopard to Windows

I had the same problem with an HP and an Epson both connected to Vista

Try this:

Go to System Preferences|Network|Advanced.

From there select the WINS tab.

You not only have to enter the Workgroup name (workgroup in my case) you also have to enter the IP address of the printer server [host] PC on the next line, under WINS Server (10.0.1.198 in my case.)

As soon as I added the IP address and saved the update I could print just fine!

Hope this works for you.

19. ibelee macrumors newbie

YOU ARE A GENIUS!!! i've tried so many fixes in so many configurations, and THIS was the fix....may you live long and prosper !! thank you, thank you, thank you!:D

20. Mini Cooper macrumors newbie

Well you have managed to get me on a bit with this. I did the above and the printer came up but when I try to print to it, it reports unable to connect to printer. Anything else I should be doing?

Thanks....

21. Mini Cooper macrumors newbie

Further to my previous post.....

This one works, no problem at all. Thanks SO much to WirelessInn for posting. I've been at this for about 3 weeks now.

22. vlyon macrumors newbie

need more hand-holding printer stopped working

I have been using my mac with my home network. Macbook pro. Trendnet router. PC with Brother printer attached.
    It's worked fine for a year.
    Suddenly lately whenever I try to print I get "NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED"
    I can use finder to look at my PC. I can save from the macbook to the PC.
    I can print from the PC. I can no longer print from the mac.

I see the advice above but I have no idea how to find the location of my windows printer so I'm stumped.

Oh, I have an HP printer attached to the PC. It also can't be used from the macbook (although in both cases the macbook will tell me the status of the printer).