Shared WLAN

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rafs32, Apr 21, 2008.

1. rafs32 macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I have had this issue with my set up for WLAN for some time.

The Apple support and my internet provider have so far not been able to resolve my issue.

I am a secondary user of an Arcor Easy Box A600 WLAN. The primary user is an MSI windows vista laptop.

I have an old Toshiba laptop that is also set up as a secondary user.

The mac mini is configured correctly, and I have restricted it to 256 k/bits with waterroof.

However when I use the mac mini airport alone it is sporodic but workable.

Likewise when in a shared WLAN situation it slows all the traffic and slows the whole system down both for the laptop and the mac mini.

Any ideas how to improve my connectivity in general with the mac mini?
    Also when sharing the WLAN?

The only solutions I can come up with is

a) doing some home redecoration (DIY), linking up the mac by ethernet, and using the laptops as WLAN.

b) investing in an aiport extreme base station.

The latter option I am not even sure would resolve the problems.

Any ideas would be great?

cheers stew.t.

2. NetworkMeUp macrumors newbie

NetworkMeUp

If you have successfully registered both your wireless adapter and your Ethernet adapter for your Mac, you must use them ONE at a time. If both adapters attempt to connect simultaneously, you will be unable to connect due to a duplicate IP address error.

See if this works, and if you still have no luck, I'll see what else we can try.

3. rafs32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

Thks for the suggestion.

The general speed and connectivity still is an issue with dual WLAN users; vista and mac mini.

I went for the solution of buying an airport extreme base station. I hope this is compatible with windows vista, seems so from what I read.

I am now bidding for an airport extreme base station, and hope this resolves some issues.

4. NetworkMeUp macrumors newbie

NetworkMeUp

The airport extreme base station is compatible with Vista, so if that is your problem it should work. I would recommend that you also try updating the firmware on your router. Hope this helps.