Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new betas of iOS 15.1, iPadOS 15.1, and tvOS 15.1 reintroduce SharePlay, the feature that Apple pulled from the iOS 15.0 updates because it was not yet ready to be released.

FaaceTime-SharePlay-iPhone-Green-Feature.jpg

Testing SharePlay no longer requires the SharePlay Development Profile to get it to work, but those who want to use it on macOS Monterey will still need to use the SharePlay profile and will need to update to the newly released macOS Monterey beta.

shareplay-mac-profile.jpg

SharePlay is a FaceTime feature that's designed to allow users to watch movies and listen to music with their friends and family on FaceTime calls, and it also has a screensharing component.

SharePlay was functional for the early part of iOS 15 testing prior to iOS 15's release, but Apple ended up pulling it because it was buggy and there wasn't time to get it ready for release. Apple said it would be released in a future update.

Article Link: SharePlay Re-Enabled in iOS 15.1, iPadOS 15.1, and tvOS 15.1 Betas

iObama

macrumors demi-god
Nov 16, 2008
Can’t wait! My partner and I tried SharePlay in beta, and when it worked, it worked really well.

Really excited to try it in tandem with my Apple TV.

Reactions: Ntombi and ikir

_Spinn_

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
I'm interested to try this out. Not sure how often I'll actually use it but it sounds fun to play around with.

LV426

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2013
The day I am lobotomised is the day I'd consider using SharePlay. I can hardly imagine anything more wretched than being interrupted all the time while I'm watching a movie. It sounds like dystopian hell straight out of "Black Mirror".

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
The day I am lobotomised is the day I'd consider using SharePlay. I can hardly imagine anything more wretched than being interrupted all the time while I'm watching a movie. It sounds like dystopian hell straight out of "Black Mirror".

I checked, and apparently the feature is not just for movies. It can be used for, for example, sporting events. Or even for non-video applications.

Reactions: ikir

iObama

macrumors demi-god
Nov 16, 2008
I could see it being cool with long distance relationships
It's definitely helpful for mine!

At the moment, we each have two devices – one to FaceTime on and one to watch the content on. We have to do countdowns to sync up content, and if either of us leaves and needs to pause, we have to do that all over again.

When we both had SharePlay (and it worked right lol), we were able to hear each other's commentary AND the show from one device. Would've been helpful over the last 18 months, but I'll take it!

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
It's definitely helpful for mine!

At the moment, we each have two devices – one to FaceTime on and one to watch the content on. We have to do countdowns to sync up content, and if either of us leaves and needs to pause, we have to do that all over again.

When we both had SharePlay (and it worked right lol), we were able to hear each other's commentary AND the show from one device. Would've been helpful over the last 18 months, but I'll take it!
My two best friends and I have been watching stuff this way for a while, though we live in two different states. We synchronize watching on one screen, and group iMessage on another. We’re waiting for SharePlay to come out of beta, so we can do this instead.

Plus, being able to help people with their phone problems is huge. I’m the tech person in my family, and it gets old fast.

rowi1de

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2016
Plus, being able to help people with their phone problems is huge. I’m the tech person in my family, and it gets old fast.
Is it possible to just share the screen or just selected / supported apps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.