Sharing 2 Airport Base Stations? WDS?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PAC2007, Sep 17, 2009.

1. PAC2007 macrumors member

Guys, I apologise if this is in the wrong sub-forum....

I use the new Airport Extreme Base Station with my Cable Modem, and recently bought a second machine (Windows Based).

Now this other machine doesn't have any wireless capabilities and is too far to use an ethernet, so I decided to use an old Airport Extreme Base Station (The cone shaped one).

The NEW Base station doesn't have any WDS option, the only remote thing I can see is 'Allow Network To Be Extended'

The OLD one does have the WDS option and requires the NEW router's MAC Address etc...

Nothing I try works, so I'm begging you all....HELP.

If only I still had my Airport Express, or a longer ethernet cable! :eek::D

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I know with the first 802.11N routers Apple came out with (current Expresses, and the previous Extremes) have the WDS option to connect to the previous models, but they also have an "automatic" WDS setup (N's only). I have an 11g and 11n APExpress connected to each other through WDS.

It might be possible that the brand new Extreme (with guest networking/dual band) no longer has the WDS option at all.

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

If you run the Airport Utility wizard on the old one (where it steps you through), doesn't it have the option to join the old Airport to an already existing network (as a client)?

I thought WDS was only used to extend the range of a network. Doesn't sound like that's what you're wanting to do?

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

You need an Express connected through WDS in order to utilize it's ethernet port, unfortunately.