Sharing a 2nd drive on a network?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AzMacNoob, Jul 5, 2007.

1. AzMacNoob macrumors newbie

In my Mac I have 2 hard drives and both are partitioned into 2 drives. So, I have 4 drives but want to share the contents of 1 over the network.

How can I do that?

I made an account for the 2 main users of the computer and have made a 3rd for a network account and I want others to be able to either connect or loginto my computer using the network account and be able to access their home folder as well as the 2nd partition of the 2nd drive.

I also want to know how I can share files between or share a drive between my bootcamp windows as well as my mac side, is that a possibility?

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

If connected users need to access their home folders, you can ditch the network account. Open System Preferences > Sharing > and enable Personal File Sharing in both accounts. When you try to connect using a Mac you'll be asked to login with your regular account credentials and presented with a list of mounted volumes. From there its easy to mount the home folder, or the external, or both if you like.

You BootCamp partition should mount atomically on the Mac side, but you can purchase software called MacDrive to have access to your OS X partition from Windows.

3. AzMacNoob thread starter macrumors newbie

Heh, I finally figured it out, the user has to be set to Admin in order to see or connect to 2nd drives other than the home folder.

Now, how would I go about sharing the 2nd hard drive with windows users?

4. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I should mentioned that, sorry. :D

Don't have a PC handy, but I think if you open up //macsnetworknameorip/ in Explorer it'll show you a list of mounted volumes, printers, etc.

5. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I had the same issue myself and while logging in with an Admin user works fine, I was a little wary of the security implications of using an Admin account. I found an app called SharePoints which allows you to create custom shares and even virtual filesharing user accounts etc, allowing you to be more flexible regarding what you share, and who you share it with etc.

Oh, and it supports Windows filesharing options too if that's important to you.