Sharing a 30" Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by littleheaven, Mar 5, 2011.

1. littleheaven macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi, and apologies in advance for a potentially silly question.

I am about to acquire a 2008 MacPro 3,1 with a 30" cinema display (the display was purchased at the same time as the computer). While this will be my main computer, I also have an Acer Aspire 5740g PC laptop which I use for some of my video editing and currently I connect that to a 19" Benq monitor when I'm not on the move.

My question is, can I share the cinema display with both machines? It would save me having two desks cluttering up the room, and the Apple display is far superior to the other.

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

If your PC laptop can drive 2560x1600 (requires dualLink DVI port or DisplayPort), then yes, you can share the display. All you need is a dualLink capable KVM switch.

3. littleheaven thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response, I appreciate the help.

Sadly, neither the maximum resolution or the video output on my laptop is sufficient, so I will need to stick with two screens. It was worth a try! :)