Sharing a gigabit network via Crossover RG6 cable? (OSX+XP)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SDAVE, Jun 29, 2007.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Hey guys,
    Anyone know if this will work? I'm trying to not pass through a gigabit router/switch so I can get the Maximum speeds...is this a viable solution or should I stay away from it?

The estimated speeds for gigabit is about 70MB/sec (Unless I am incorrect) via a gigabit switch or a router. Will I get these speeds or faster?

2. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

A halfway decent switch shouldn't slow you down. To send that through a router and route each packet is certainly going to slow it down.

3. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Isn't a crossover setup much cheaper? I don't really need a switch or a router...for internet, both PC's have WiFi so I'll use my LinkSys wireless router for net access. I just need the fastest possible speed for transferring between these two computers. Fiber is too expensive, so gigabit is pretty good.

Also if crossover gigabit is not recommended, which switch do you recommend? Model? Any estimates to how fast usually gigabit networks are on a good setup?

Thank you!!

4. jdechko macrumors 68040

In theory, any Cat6 cable going from GigE on your Mac to the PC should work. The Mac has an auto-sensing port that allows you to use a standard patch cable (doesn't have to be crossover). This Apple support doc gives you the steps.

You can also read through this forum, specifically this post.

5. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Thank you!

I just connected directly via a CAT5 cable and I get about 27MB/sec! Sick speeds! :D

If I get a CAT6 cable, I should see alot of speed increase right?

6. sfisher macrumors regular

No. Cat5e is just as capable at gigabit speeds.

7. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Not sure if my cable is CAT5e....it's a custom made cable...but in the Windows Machine it says "1.0Gbps" in the network setting, so I guess it's connected at gigabit? But 27MB/sec is not what I'm supposed to be getting.

8. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

You'll never hit 70mb/s.

Even the nice SATA drives can't do a sustained write to the hard drive at 70. They top out at around 32mb/s.

The only way you'll actually hit 70/sec is by having raided setup.

It sounds like you've hit your peak.

9. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Err I have a Seagate SATA II drive and I get a steady 67MB sec from reading.

If I connect an IDE drive via FireWire 400, I get a steady 32MB sec, which is much faster than what I'm getting with ethernet....so clearly you're not right on this one.

10. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Ok I grabbed 3 files from different drives on my server, and I was getting 65MB/sec which is still not bad! I guess this is a CAT5e cable...will try with a crossover CAT6 cable and report the results.