Sharing a 'Home' folder across two computers

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FlyLight, Mar 25, 2014.

1. FlyLight macrumors newbie

Here's the situation. I work from two offices and need to access the same emails and image files at both. My main issue is keeping a folder structure of client's emails up to date and accessible on both computers, so that I can see what's been discussed in the past and keep a record of contracts etc.

I already have a 2TB external LaCie quad-interface that I take between the two offices all the time which houses my image and design files. It freezes my computer from time to time, so not sure how 'stable' it would be as a Home drive.

I have a MacPro 2006 1,1 (eSata, FW800, USB2) at home, and an iMac 2008 11,1 (FW800, USB2) at work. Both are running 10.6.8. I don't fancy updating to Mavericks.

Is it feasible to use an external drive as my 'home' system on both, and still keep a home folder for personal stuff on my MP at home? Should I set up a "work" user on the MP if I was to do this?

Would an external SSD give any better speed than an external HDD? I have OSX on an SSD in the MP, and want to fit one in the iMac.

Is some cloud system the way to go?

Any ideas welcome. I'm comfortable formatting, partitioning, erasing, cloning drives etc.

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

I think Dropbox would be your best bet. You would likely need to buy more storage, however. It would be good for syncing work documents, and for emails just use IMAP.

3. carl201167 macrumors regular

Blimey, yeah - use Dropbox or (cheaper) Google Drive.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Since you use several locations I stingily suggest a Synology NAS. This way you could use a VPN server inside the Synology NAS and always have that running and VPN back into the NAS at each location. Here is video.