sharing a mac and an xbox 360 on an acd?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
Is there a kvm switch that will share an acd among an xbox 360 connected via vga and a mac connected via DVI?

Otherwise I would just buy a dell display with a vga and dvi input, but I need the firewire 400 ports, and the Apple Display is simply gorgeous.

would converting the vga from the 360 to dvi with an adapter and just using a dvi switchbox degrade the quality?

Thanks.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
would converting the vga from the 360 to dvi with an adapter
The simple and cheap ways of doing this would not work with an ACD. Apple's displays accept digital signals only. The simple/cheap ways of converting VGA to DVI use the analogue pins on the DVI connection. You'd need a scan converter which would not be cheap at all.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
The simple and cheap ways of doing this would not work with an ACD. Apple's displays accept digital signals only. The simple/cheap ways of converting VGA to DVI use the analogue pins on the DVI connection. You'd need a scan converter which would not be cheap at all.
those are the old ACDs though, I heard the newer (since the change to aluminum) ACDs work with a vga signal with a simple conversion.
It doesn't matter any more, as I decided I need a monitor with component inputs as well.