Sharing a PC (Vista) HDD with OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Eluzion, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Eluzion macrumors 6502

Does anyone know the proper way to setup Vista to allow a hard drive to be completely readable/writable by a Mac (Leopard)? I'm trying to setup one of my roommates hard drives as a network/shared drive for me to store stuff on. I have everything working for the most part but can't seem to stream videos through Quicktime from his drive (gives me some error message about OS X using the file). I can use Quicklook to view it but it's extremely laggy.

Any tips to 1) allow videos to be accessible by Quicktime and 2) to improve network performance. We're both connected wirelessly with good to excellent signal strength. It's a Linksys Wireless-G router (forgot the model name) with DD-WRT firmware.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i assume youve right clicked on the external disk in vista and clicked share. click advanced sharing and check the share this folder box, give it a share name and give permission for read/write access to everyone. you can also give it a password in the network and sharing centre if your want.

then make sure that file sharing is enabled in the pc's firewall and file sharing is enabled on your mac.

this is all assuming that your mac is in your roomate's workgroup. open system preferences and type "WINS" in the search box (easier) and press enter. make sure the workgroup name is the same as your roomate's pc.

your roomate's pc should show up under shared in the finder sidebar. open the shared drive and enter the password if you enabled one and you should be good to go.

i have my the 2nd hard drive on my pc shared this way but using XP and i can view videos fine over the network using draft-g wireless.

3. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

I've done this and all that happens is a refresh in the finder with the drive name folder, a public folder, and a public folder. Any other tips. I have turned off password protected sharing on Vista totally.

4. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

nvm I got it, I just logged in as admin into Vista. Guest sharing is hard to get to work on Vista.