Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dan73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
I still can't figure this out.

I have a printer connected to my desktop running Windows 7 and have it set up to share the printer but on my Mac when I go to add a printer and click the Windows tab, everything is grayed out and nothing shows up.

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
Hi,
in the Add Printer window, try to select the "Default" tab.

Screen shot 2009-09-15 at 10.09.43 PM.png

Dan73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Hi,
in the Add Printer window, try to select the "Default" tab.

View attachment 194577

It looks exactly like that, nothing shows up.

Sorry if I wasn't 100% clear before but I want to be able to print over my network to the printer thats attached to my desktop running Windows 7, from my MacBook.

Both the Default and Windows tabs show nothing and don't let me do anything.

cbmac

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2009
Printers not printing

Hi Dan, I'm new to Macs and have a similar problem. I have a LAN with Toshiba running XP and a Mac running OS X with a printer attached to each one. Both printers show up when I click "print"'. Then nothing happens when I select either one and click print again. On one try the file did go to the queue, but would not print. Both printers indicate either ready or idle. Any suggestions anyone?

Dan73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Hi Dan, I'm new to Macs and have a similar problem. I have a LAN with Toshiba running XP and a Mac running OS X with a printer attached to each one. Both printers show up when I click "print"'. Then nothing happens when I select either one and click print again. On one try the file did go to the queue, but would not print. Both printers indicate either ready or idle. Any suggestions anyone?

Thing is I don't even see my printer :(

I'm wondering if its because its Windows 7. Before someone flames me or anything I purchased Win7 from my school so its a legit copy.

Emp123

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2009
My issue is fairly similar to yours, well, actually, I think my issue is a result of me being a couple steps ahead of you.

To install my printer connected to my Windows 7 PC I had to add an advanced tab to the Add Printer window (control click and drag the Advanced tab over to the Add Printer window).

After doing this under Type I selected Windows and in the url pane I added my Windows 7 smb location (I used the name of my computer so for me it was smb://Emp123-PC).

Then in the Print Using pulldown menu I selected Select Printer Software... and selected my printer.

When I went to print it asked me to log into my Windows computer using my account name and password and hopefully this will be the end of the issues for you.

As for me, when I got to this stage my printer would send the information to my Windows 7 computer (or it appears to anyway) but nothing prints and nothing shows up in the print queue on the Windows 7 computer (Im not sure if this is supposed to happen or what). Any help getting my printer to actually print stuff would be wonderful.

Rozee

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
Astoria, NY
Hey Dan73

Thing is I don't even see my printer :(

I'm wondering if its because its Windows 7. Before someone flames me or anything I purchased Win7 from my school so its a legit copy.

I have a desktop with winXp and a MBP, I put an airport express router on and I'm able to print from anywhere in the house on my Mac. Maybe you can try this and keep the setup you have now with your pc

serialtoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
1 of 8 bits
My issue is fairly similar to yours, well, actually, I think my issue is a result of me being a couple steps ahead of you.

To install my printer connected to my Windows 7 PC I had to add an advanced tab to the Add Printer window (control click and drag the Advanced tab over to the Add Printer window).

After doing this under Type I selected Windows and in the url pane I added my Windows 7 smb location (I used the name of my computer so for me it was smb://Emp123-PC).

Then in the Print Using pulldown menu I selected Select Printer Software... and selected my printer.

When I went to print it asked me to log into my Windows computer using my account name and password and hopefully this will be the end of the issues for you.

As for me, when I got to this stage my printer would send the information to my Windows 7 computer (or it appears to anyway) but nothing prints and nothing shows up in the print queue on the Windows 7 computer (Im not sure if this is supposed to happen or what). Any help getting my printer to actually print stuff would be wonderful.
Hey guys. I finally got this damn thing to work. Im using SL. So unless its not SL, your mileage may vary. So What i would do is EVERYTHING that Emp123 just noted. But when it comes to this part...
I selected Windows and in the url pane I added my Windows 7 smb location (I used the name of my computer so for me it was smb://Emp123-PC).

Make sure you add the printer name to it....for example i have a HP C3100 printer that i named C3100 in my sharing settings on windows. So it would look like this
smb://serialtoon-PC/C3100
After that. It will ask for your windows pc password, after you enter it correctly. It will print :-D. Enjoy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.