sharing a printer on an iMac that Windows can print from

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chadmesse, Mar 11, 2010.

1. chadmesse macrumors newbie

I have a Samsung ML-1710 printer. I have successfully installed it on my 24" Aluminum iMac running Snow Leopard. I am able to print all day long from the iMac itself. I have gone through the whole process of sharing the printer, and confirming everything is fine in CUPS. I can successfully add a printer on a Windows PC(have only tested with XP). When I go to print something the printer starts "initializing", but nothing ever prints out. When I go into CUPS and look at completed jobs it shows up. What in the world am I doing wrong?

PS. This is the first time I have ever tried sharing a printer using a Mac!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Do you have an AirPort Express? That's a great way to share a printer wirelessly between Macs and PCs.

3. chadmesse thread starter macrumors newbie

GG,

I am using a NETGEAR WNR854T. It is a wireless n 300mbps with gigabit ports. It does not have the capability to do so.

Thanks,
    Chad

4. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Chad,
    A clearly publicized but not well known fact about printer sharing is that to do it the easy way (like you're trying), you have to choose a postscript print driver on the PC, so that postscript will be sent to the Mac, just like is normal from Mac applications.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8666.html
    (After the list of steps.)

Forgot to add, that if you'd rather use the correct driver on Windows, you can set up a special queue called a raw queue on your Mac:
    http://blog.codefront.net/2007/02/05/sharing-a-usb-printer-from-mac-os-x-to-windows/

5. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Do you have Bonjour for Windows installed on the PC?

6. chadmesse thread starter macrumors newbie

Bonjour is not installed on the Windows PC. Unfortunately while I was out of town this weekend the hard drive in my iMac took a dump. I just found this out when I got home this evening. I now have to research how to fix this issue so that I can get back to the printer sharing. I will test the Bonjour out when I get this up and running. Thanks for all of the help guys.