Sharing a USB Drive.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jellomizer, Sep 20, 2007.

1. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

I have an iMac and a MacBook Pro. I have a USB Phanum 500gb drive hooked up to the iMac Fat 32 formatted. The drive works great on the system. But how can I share the Drive over the Network preferable with personal file sharing? I can probably do it with some Unix configuration but it possible I would want to do it the more Mac Way. I know in Windows you can just do a right Click and Share. In Linux/Unix it is a bit more invloved but doable. Is there a straight forward way in OS X to do this or will I need to go into the Unix shell and go the old fassion way.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There's actually a really clever workaround for this. Unfortunately, it won't work if you're sharing with Windows machines, but if you're only sharing with other Macs it should work just fine. Anyway... somewhere in your home folder (such as in your Public folder), put an alias of the drive in there. Then, if people need to access your drive they just open the alias.

NOTE: I've never tested this, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, especially since the drive in question is FAT32 formatted (thus ownership won't be an issue).

3. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

I think what you're looking for is SharePoints. It will let you configure your external drive to be shared on the network.