Sharing a wireless WAN connection

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tbullock, Jul 5, 2008.

1. tbullock macrumors newbie

I have been offered free wireless internet by my landlord but I'm used to having my own private network, so I wanted to use his network as my WAN connection and host my own separate, secure wireless network via an AEBS. That isn't an option on the AEBS though. Is there a cheap solution to this? E.g. is there anything that can connect to a wireless network and share it over ethernet to my AEBS? An airport express perhaps? Thanks

2. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Hmm... I was under the impression that the AEBS could do that.. (I have a TC but same wireless setup).... but perhaps this doesn't create a second wireless network, only extends the "range" of the first?

Attached Files:

3. PLin macrumors 6502

I don't think you can do that with just the AEBS. You would have to get a wireless bridge. Configure the bridge to connect to the landlord's wireless, and then attach the ethernet from the bridge to your AEBS WAN port. A lot of the bridges are advertised for gaming to let you use an Xbox or Playstation on a wireless network when the console itself doesn't support WiFi.

4. tbullock thread starter macrumors newbie

Airport Express Worked

Thanks for the replies. I think you're right: any wireless bridge with an ethernet port would work. I bought an Airport express, had it join the landlord's wireless network and checked the "Accept ethernet clients" box. I then connected the AEBS WAN port to the Airport Express and everything works as I want. Again, thanks all.

5. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Very cool, once again the AE is such a GREAT bang for the buck product!! I'm amazed by it. I use it with a set of Audioengine A5's and can get stellar music in any room in the house.... even took them out to the garage for my car detail last Saturday! :D

6. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I agree that the Airport Express is a great product. I recently replaced an old b/g wireless router with a Time Capsule. An old Linksys WAP54G, which I had configured as a 802.11b/b wireless adapter for my TiVo Series3 DVR, then stopped working. No problem, I bought an Airport Express, configured it as a wireless adapter, connected it to the TiVo's Ethernet card, and had it up and running is less that 30 minutes.

I am considering buying a second AX to use as a network extender in the west side of my house. Unfortunately, the TC by itself lacks the range to consistently connect with devices that are outside the room in which its installed. Equally unfortunately, another thread reveals that some have had serious network speed issues when using an AX as a network extender:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=495451

Obviously, I need to learn more about this issue before deciding to spring for another AX.