Sharing a WRT54G Router with a PC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rainer24, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Rainer24 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I recently bought a Linksys WRT54G wireless router and managed to get it set up where I am now using it with my MacBook, which is apparently a noteworthy feat in itself, but my main reason for buying the router was so that my girlfriend could share my internet connection when she is over here. She has a PC and I cannot figure out how to get her hooked which is extremely frustrating, as that was the primary motivation in getting the router in the first place. Whenever I search for available wireless networks with her computer, my network is not even registering. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I've already done a good bit of poking around on the net looking for an answer, but have yet to find anything that will work.

Thanks

2. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Ok, are you broadcasting the router ssid? Are you using an encryption scheme (wep, wpa, wpa2)? Is it set to G, or mixed mode?

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

It's a great feat for turning on your airport and it works with the Mac? You must be new to the game. Anyway as the other reply said, the SSID must not be broadcasted and if anything just manually type it in.
    The SSID if you don't know is the name that you see when looking for a router.

4. Rainer24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Definitely new to the game, but that is not exactly what I meant.

5. Rainer24 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

I cannot imagine what the problem could be..... as long as you of course configure each computer [PC and Mac with the correct WEP/WAP/IP data], which I assume you know how to do [and done once its easy to do again]

I have a Desktop PC, a Laptop PC and a MacPro [connected both via OSX and XP/Parallels] all using that exact router and works perfectly.

And virtually 100% "plug-n-play"

7. zombiereagan macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact opposite problem. I have the same router and two PCs hooked up and working fine, we had the macbook (10.4.11 with airport extreme) working fine for a little while and then i put a WPA protection on the router and shortly thereafter the mac couldn't connect to the net. Ichat works and that's really about it. Safari will load pages in just 10 minutes if your lucky. I've upgraded the firmware on the router and bypassed the DNS (4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2) and still nothing has helped. I've exhausted every solution i've seen on this site and nothing has worked. Anybody got a miracle?