Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.PS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Is it possible to share the Airport using WPA2? WEP seems pretty weak :( Also, my Dell E1405 cannot seem to connect when it is shared with WEP. Has anyone else gotten a non-mac computer to connect to a shared airport on a mp or mpb?

Mr.PS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
WP2 is stronger security than WEP ..IIRC

I use WP2 and it works with XP and Mac..
You've misunderstood me. I know what WPA2 is, what I'm asking is how to enable it when sharing my internet connection using the built in airport express card on my Mac Pro. Currently, all I see is a WEP check box. I want to enable WPA2 and share it so I can transfer files.

Mr.PS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Bump, so is WEP the only way to encrypt a shared network connection from my Mac Pro to a windows laptop? WEP doesn't seem to want to work anyway, unsecured works, but WEP doesn't. The windows machine in question is a Dell E1405 with the Broadcom Draft-N card.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
You've misunderstood me. I know what WPA2 is, what I'm asking is how to enable it when sharing my internet connection using the built in airport express card on my Mac Pro. Currently, all I see is a WEP check box. I want to enable WPA2 and share it so I can transfer files.

That 'setting' is inside of airport utility... Airport Utility> click on the base station>wireless> change the setting from there..

Mr.PS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
That 'setting' is inside of airport utility... Airport Utility> click on the base station>wireless> change the setting from there..

I don't have an airport base station, just an "airport" card inside of my Macpro that i'd like to share with other wireless pc's in this room to transfer files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.