Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
Up until now my wife and I have always shared one Apple ID. Lately it seems that more and more utilities use the Apple ID so I'm wondering if it's better for us to have our own.

The main reason I like sharing one is that we can share purchased apps on our iphones. If I change our setup and we each have our own Apple ID, we would then need to purchase the apps again for the phone that has the new apple ID?

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Yeah, you should probably go ahead and have her create her own account. You can still share app purchases; my girlfriend and I did it quite a bit when I had an iPhone. All you have to do is sign into your account on her phone, redownload the app, and then sign out. The app will still work when she signs into her account. You won't be able to sync the apps to iTunes, however, from the phone using the second account (contacts, settings, etc. will still back up as normal though).

edit: Just to clear things up a little, you will not have to redownload all the apps that are already on the phone - only new ones purchased by your account (if she wants them too).

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Up until now my wife and I have always shared one Apple ID. Lately it seems that more and more utilities use the Apple ID so I'm wondering if it's better for us to have our own.

The main reason I like sharing one is that we can share purchased apps on our iphones. If I change our setup and we each have our own Apple ID, we would then need to purchase the apps again for the phone that has the new apple ID?

I deal with this with my wife and multiple iOS and OS X devices. Here is what I do. I have one AppleID used for all purchases on all devices, this makes it easy to manage and remember what I used to purchase apps. Then I have an AppleID I use for iCloud services on my devices (Macbook and iPhone) and she has a separate AppleID for iCloud email on her iPad.

You can have multiple iCloud accounts on an iOS device if you want to share calendars and address books. So for example, on my wife's iPad II have my iCloud AppleID as primary with contact and calendar sync on and mail off. Then her iCloud AppleID as secondary with mail only turned on.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
I deal with this with my wife and multiple iOS and OS X devices. Here is what I do. I have one AppleID used for all purchases on all devices, this makes it easy to manage and remember what I used to purchase apps. Then I have an AppleID I use for iCloud services on my devices (Macbook and iPhone) and she has a separate AppleID for iCloud email on her iPad.

You can have multiple iCloud accounts on an iOS device if you want to share calendars and address books. So for example, on my wife's iPad II have my iCloud AppleID as primary with contact and calendar sync on and mail off. Then her iCloud AppleID as secondary with mail only turned on.

Hi...thanks all for the replies. I like your ideas.

I think I like the idea of having one Apple ID for purchases. After that though, I get a little confused.

For example, on the iPhone, under Settings and "Store" there is a place for "Apple ID" login. This is where you put the shared Apple ID for purchases? After that, I think it's best to each have our own Apple IDs for iMessage and also, as you mentioned for iCloud. Also, where would "Find your iPhone" fit in to this? Is that included in the iCloud Apple ID?

Thanks...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
For example, on the iPhone, under Settings and "Store" there is a place for "Apple ID" login. This is where you put the shared Apple ID for purchases?

Yep. Lets just call this ID1.

After that, I think it's best to each have our own Apple IDs for iMessage and also, as you mentioned for iCloud.

Okay. I have myself as ID2 and wife ID3. So I add ID2 as the first (main) iCloud account on all iOS devices and turn on everything EXCEPT Mail on wife's iPad and of course Mail on on my iPhone. Then add ID3 as a second iCloud account on wife's iPad and turn on Mail ONLY. Then use ID3 for Messages on her iPad.

This way we share purchases and calendar and address book, but she has her own email and Messages.

Also, where would "Find your iPhone" fit in to this? Is that included in the iCloud Apple ID?

Yes. That falls under ID2 in my example.

It sounds complicated, but if you just do it step by step it works perfectly. This allows us to share calendars and address book, while maintaining our own emails and Messages. Also keeps Find my XXX under one ID and all purchases under one ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.