Sharing an internet connection between an Intel iMac and an a G3 iMac running OS 9?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ceruleanventure, Jun 19, 2007.

1. ceruleanventure macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

I recently got a hold of an old iMac G3 DV SE and it's currently running 9.2.2. Since I've only been a mac user for 2 years, I've never used OS 9. I would like to get the machine online so that I can install the firmware upgrades so I can put Panther on the machine. My only airport card is in my iBook and I don't have an adapter for G3 iMac. Is it possible to share the internet from my Intel iMac and this old iMac using ethernet cables? I know how to share the internet between computers running OS X, but I have no idea how to share between OS X and OS 9. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate them, thanks! :apple:

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Connect the machines via ethernet and turn on internet sharing on your OS X machine. That will enable internet to OS 9.

In OS 9 go to Apple Menu>Control Panels>TCP/IP and setup for ethernet. Should turn on pretty easily I think.

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

4. ceruleanventure thread starter macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

Thanks GimmeSlack12, but I still can't get it working :mad:

kingjr3, I already have a router for our wireless network, but it's downstairs in the kitchen and these two iMacs are upstairs in my bedroom.

5. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

I think to start things off, I'd take the iMac down to the kitchen to do the firmware upgrade, then load OS X. After that you might have an easier time sharing your internet connection.

Then I'd try to find a USB WIFI adaptor for it.

6. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I'm assuming then that since both of your iMacs are upstairs that the Intel iMac is using wireless. You should be able to set the Intel Mac to share your internet connection over wired by going to System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet Sharing. Just set it to share your connection from Airport to Built-in Ethernet. With the ethernet cord plugged into both iMacs (or the iMac and iBook) you should then get an IP on the iMac G3 by following GimmeSlack12's suggestion.