Sharing an iTunes Library

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by harveypooka, Mar 26, 2012.

1. harveypooka macrumors 65816

I have all my music on my user account on my MacBook. My wife also has an account on the MacBook with a small amount of music. I want to share my iTunes Library and then add her smaller music collection to it. I figured this is the easiest way for us to pool our music but still have a separate account for emails, calendars and contacts that we can sync with our iPhones.

I moved my iTunes Media folder to the /Users/Shared directory and pointed iTunes to it; no problem there. I logged into my wife's account, renamed her iTunes Music folder (so I can copy all the MP3s, AACs, etc over to the shared library later) and opened her iTunes. I tried to point her iTunes to the shared iTunes Media folder but nothing happened; no prompt to copy files, no adding of existing files. I opened iTunes while holding alt and tried to choose the shared iTunes Media folder but it tells me that it cannot find an iTunes Library.

There is an Apple Support document that gives instructions on how to share iTunes libraries but I don't like the idea of constantly having to go to File > Add To Library every time either of us makes a change to the 'shared' library.

Is there a way for us to both have (asynchronous) access to a shared iTunes library without having to manually scan for updates? Or, is there a Lion/iOS5 feature that I've missed or misunderstood that can simplify this for us?

2. derickdub macrumors 6502

I would suggest taking all the music, app, movie files, etc. and starting a new library in a shared location on the macbook. As long as both accounts are authorized you both should have the permissions to play them all.

If you want to keep music/movies separate when you sync then you'll have to manually manage it or create playlist and sync only them. I don't really know much about keeping apps separate though. I don't even sync my apps to my computer anymore, I just keep it all on my phone. With iCloud back-ups you don't really need to anymore.

As far as calendars, notes, emails, etc. I'd just use iCloud for syncing/back-ups.

I can't see why you would have to keep "adding to library" to update though. As long as both accounts have the correct permissions set to the shared location, I can imagine it automatically updating like any other location for a library. So I'd check the folder permissions on that.

Also, you might have better luck in a different forum. This is the iPhone section.

3. mortfe macrumors regular

iPhone/iPad Sharing

I have an iTunes account with music and apps for my iPhone. I am buying an iPad today. What happens when I sinc it to iTunes? Will it pick every thing up?

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

If there's enough room.

5. mortfe macrumors regular

Sharing Apps Between Devices

Just bought an iPad. I have ONE iTunes account. When I sync the iPad to iTunes, can I move the apps to different positions between iPhone & iPad and will they remain seperate for each device?

6. breezyf808 macrumors regular

Yes they'll have their own properties but u'll be able to share all apps and whatnot. iPhone apps works on iPad also....works nicely.