Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuartm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Hi , similar to post below and the question regarding generating a copy when sharing a library, made me check.
I have an iTunes folder in a shared area so I can let my 8yr old daughter pick up some tracks. The problem is (and I didnt realise this) is that when she "adds to her library" from my shared location she is actually making a copy!! Hence for every track she wants, there are duplicates on my hard drive. The simple answer would be to just have everything on one library but I really dont want High School musical on my I pod and Im sure she doesnt want to stumble across captain beefheart.
How do I enable iTunes, on both of our log ins, to see tracks from one library (one copy) but sorted into only the ones that we want to see/hear and auto sync on Ipods.

Thanks

egsaxy

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2004
it will take a bit of work, but it is doable. Pick the destination for "the" iTunes library. (the public folder for instance). in iTunes in the preferences set this as the default place for all music added in both your account and your daughters. This is the only place music will be imported (both yours and hers). With this in place also under preferences choose the option that has files kept where they are instead of adding to iTunes. both of these items are under the advanced panel in the preferences. When you import a cd it will be found in that folder. Your daughter will also need to add these items to itunes but will not duplicate the file. The same is true for her imports and your sharing. Initially by merging the iTunes libraries you will find files you don't want but after you eliminate them from your library they will not be added to your iPod. As a note make sure you click Keep file when you delete things from your library (then your daughter will continue to see the files). Hope this helps. PVT me if you have any questions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.