Sharing and permissions on external hd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Grimalkin, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Grimalkin macrumors newbie

I am new to mac so please forgive me if there is a really obvious answer to this.

I back up to an external hd which I also use with Linux. However I can only read a few of the folders on Linux as permission is denied. It's only some folders, not all. All folders simply contain photos.

On 'Get info' these folders show in permissions and sharing as no access for 'everyone' and I am unable to change this - I click on the lock icon, go in as admin, get the menu to read & write, read only etc. but changes to these permissions cannot be applied. With other folders, everything is fine and I can change permissions, and I have no idea why only some have this setting.

Is there anyway I can change the permissions on individual or all files ?

Many thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What file system do you use with that external HDD?
    Fat32, NTFS, HFS+, ext, ...

3. Grimalkin thread starter macrumors newbie

The format is
    Mac OS extended (journaled)

Does this mean it is HFS ? As I said, I'm completely new to mac.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Correct.

I found this thread for mounting HFS+ on linux. You can find other sources with Google if this one doesn't give you a solution. I've never done it myself so can't give any direct ideas.

5. Grimalkin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for this. I can see the folders fine on linux, I just do not have permission to view them.

The problem is with the Mac I believe, as in permissions and sharing, I try to click on the option for 'everyone' to read only, and cannot change it from 'no access'. I can change permissions for individual files in the folder and then copy/paste into a new folder, and then that will be readable from linux, but does anyone have any idea why the original folders will not allow me to change permissions ? These permissions were set by the mac book before the hd was mounted on any other operating system.