Sharing Apple Watch with the wife.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Kendo, May 15, 2015.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

Is it possible to easily share an Apple Watch in the same way that a couple can share a Mac and an iPad?

Since this is a first gen product, I was thinking of purchasing a pink Watch Sport and buying a black band for myself. She doesn't do any physical activity so it will most likely be me using the fitness functions. What worries me is the calendar and iMessage notifications.

Is it easy to sign in and sign out of your Apple ID the way you can do it on an iPad? Or would I be forced to reformat the watch everytime we want to share it?

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I think Apple would say "It's our most personal device ever" and you will find it more than any other product is designed for one user and you will have a difficult time doing that.

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It's not designed to be shared. You'd have to un pair and re pair the watch every time (takes up to 15 minutes).

4. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

you'd get sick of it real quick. you'd have to erase and re-pair every time.

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

You will be forced to un-pair and re-pair it everytime.

You wouldn't share one iPhone, would you? Splurge a little and buy yourself one. That's what I did. Waiting for my wife's to still come in.

6. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

This would be excruciatingly annoying (at least for me).
    I know it's not an easy spend for everybody, but $350 for a women's (38mm) sport would be well worth it relative to the aggravatingly slow pairing process every day … 2x a day if you each do it.

7. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

a fitbit charge or surge can show notifications and caller idea. Also has heart rate monitor and a killer support fitbit app. a lot cheaper than the Apple watch.

8. CellXor10 macrumors regular

This would be a terrible, terrible, idea. In no way would it work out.

----------

And sorry, this was not a shot at you, OP. Reading my post after making it I realize it could be misconstrued easily as an insult.

9. Ben_Dover macrumors regular

Ben_Dover

10. devobail macrumors member

Not to change the subject but this is sort of the flip side of my dilemma. I already have a 42mm sport and have a 42mm SS on its way. Can anyone see any difficulty with having 2 watches for 1 user? I know the setup time for the sport seemed like it took forever, but just unpairing and and pairing to a different watch shouldnt be the same should it? Anyone have experience with running 2 watches?

11. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

It is the same to worse. It's brutally slow.
    I considered this myself, and after experimenting once, I sold the Sport.
    The setup time was likely faster than what you'll experience now with re-pairing and restoring.

12. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Dude just get your wife an Apple Watch and save up and get yourself one later. She is the love of your life. She will be happy you thought of her, and you get to see that smile that you get for thinking of her from time to time.

13. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

this.....

i can't imagine sharing one... i put mine back on before i get out of bed in the morning, only take it off after my workout while showering (and get it recharged back to 100%) then take it off after i've gotten into bed in the evening.

14. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

It might work if you already share a single iPhone. :)

Otherwise, no.