Sharing apps between family members

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by hokiepokie07, Jun 17, 2011.

1. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

How does this work? Do I just log onto my account on their iPad and download what they want? Will they still be able to update the apps they take from me?

Thanks

2. nutmac macrumors 68040

If you don't mind sharing your Apple ID and password, yes. If apps on the device are linked to multiple IDs, however, update could become tedious.

3. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I can't give them the apps of mine and they are then their apps? That way, when an update comes, they can update with their ID on their iPad?

4. nutmac macrumors 68040

An app is tied to a specific Apple ID originally used for purchase. All subsequent update and re-download will ask for the original Apple ID. For this reason, my household shares an Apple ID designated for iTunes purchases (which includes App Store and iBookstore). You can specify different Apple ID for Game Center and other Apple apps.

5. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

How does that work with games such as Word With Friends? Would I be able to compete against my wife even if we are using the same Apple ID? I ask this because her work just gave her an iPad, and before we only had mine so we never had this come up.