sharing Apps that i bought with someone else?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Twe Foju, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

so there is a friend of mine that ask for some apps from me because he says that since i have bought it, he dont have to buy it again

ie: Beejive and any other apps

my question is

if i give him the file..

will it be illegal/ok? like say there is a new updates on the app

and that app is registered under my account, so will the update automatically updates it through my account or he can update it, but using he still have to login through his own account?

thanks..

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Not only is it illegal, but it won't even work if you give him the file.

3. Macjames macrumors 6502a

no it will not work, your friend needs to pay for the app as well.

4. Twe Foju thread starter macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

ok so apps is account bound, yes?

just curious, so what happen when he sync his iPod with iTunes with my file on the apps folder?

will it just auto delete or?

5. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

You can always do what me and my friend do, authorize each account on each others computer so that any app I buy he can use and vice versa. This is perfectly legal as Apple give you up to 5 computers to share your apps and music between.

6. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I thought most of these apps came with multiple licenses but you'd have to sync both devices to the same computer? Is this wrong? I never gave it a shot so I don't know if it works.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

besides that

for the $5-10 or even $20 bucks he will save it's not worth it. I mean how cheap is he? Most Apple Apps are very cheap and for the amount of time the developers spend to make it $1-$2 for most of them is fantastic! :D why not support these developers who will them make more programs. I look for a Lite version of a app try it if I like it then I buy the full version. Also if he is that cheap tell him to stick with the free apps!

8. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

Unless he authorizes your account, i.e has access to your username and password a warning message will appear saying you do not have access to that file.

If you trust him, just share account information like me and my friend do and share the apps

9. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

Not worth what? Each iTunes purchase comes with 5 device licences.

10. Twe Foju thread starter macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

ah yes, this is actually answer my question :D , thanks!

1st of all, no he's not that cheap, i can assure you that he is more than capable of buying all available apps on iTunes with his very own CC

but again, when Apple can give you 5 license for each apps, and you can share with yout best friends or even your family, why the trouble?

sharing is good! :D

actually i do share my acc with him, is just that we both don't know if that will be illegal to share like that or not, anyway

question answered, thanks lot ppls ;)

11. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Shame you can't transfer licenses though. There's a load of apps I don't use (and probably won't use again) that I'd like to give away.

12. pmbooks macrumors regular

pmbooks

Can't figure out how to do this sharing. Just bought my wife a new iphone (family plan, second line), set up Home Sharing, authorized both computers on both computers' itunes, but I don't see how to share my app collection with her. Any tutorials out there?

13. Cinque macrumors newbie

Gifting Question

This reminds me. Is there anyway to gift an app to a friend. I have a friend who is always getting lost but she refuses to buy a GPS. (worries it will get stolen.) and refuses to buy a GPS app (to expensive). If I could buy it and gift it to her that would be perfect.

-Cinque

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't think there is an option to gift apps, but you can always gift your friend an iTunes gift card which she can use to buy the app.

15. aluren macrumors 65816

You need to download the apps to each of the computers. For example, if you bought an app today and want to share with your wife, you will need to go to her computer, download that app to her iTunes, and then sync it with her iPhone. I haven't messed around with the new home sharing feature on iTunes 9, but that's the way I share apps with my gf.

Apps are tied to your account and whichever computers your account authorizes. I tried de-authorizing an account and after syncing, iTunes will let you choose between re-authorizing or deleting the apps.

16. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Not sure the home sharing works with apps. I thought it was for music and videos.

17. IronLogik macrumors 6502

The 5 computer licenses are for your own devices. Family purposes. NOT friends.

Giving it to someone who doesn't live in the same house as you is a violation of the terms of service i believe. So yes, it isn't exactly "legal" in that sense.

Don't do it. Just tell your friend to stop being a cheap ass and buy the apps himself. Those 5 computers are for your OWN use, not his and all your friends.

18. unfrozen.jon macrumors member

unfrozen.jon

My wife and I share our apps, I don't agree with piracy when it comes to apps though but the EULA states we can share apps on multiple iPods/iPhones in the same house (although if it didn't I doubt Steve Jobs would break in while we slept and enact revenge). I wasn't able to share in app purchased content but not a big deal. I'm glad to see increased usability for sharing content with Home Sharing in iTunes 9, will definitely make me purchase more movies and TV from iTunes.

19. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I've done it, but it was a PITA because you can't sync them back to your computer unless you have their login and can authorize your computer for their account.

My friend logged into his account on my phone and downloaded a couple apps for me .. I actually just wanted to try them out, I did buy them afterwards. But like I said, PITA.

Just have him buy them.

20. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Just to be clear, the license is not for 5 copies of the app, or even 5 computers. It is for 5 FAMILY members in the same household. So yes, even if you just share it with one friend, it is still illegal. Not that I think you will get in trouble for it, or even caught, but morally it is wrong.