Sharing apps

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by awesomator, May 4, 2009.

1. awesomator macrumors regular

Me and my brother each have iphones. I have had mine since the 2g release and he just got his recently. I have a ton of apps and he has a few new ones i do not have. He is at college. We waould like to share each tohers apps so we only have to pay for one for the 2 of us. I know with songs you can activate it on 5 different computers does this work the same with apps and if i just drag the icon into a email will he be able to use it? also will it delete his other purchases if he puts it on?

2. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

My understanding is you can copy the App (container) from its directory within iTunes on computer A onto a USB stick,then copy it on to computer B's iTunes folder in the corresponding place.

Then when computer B syncs with iPhone B both phones will have the App.

It is likely to be an infringement of copy right.
    I doubt the second copy (on computer/phone B) will be able to update.

3. escaper43 macrumors newbie

authorizing will work. just let him authorize your account on his computer, and he will be able to download your apps free of charge as long as he has your password. an alternative (if you have all 5 computers authorized) is sync his ipod to his computer, enter your itunes details into his computer, unplug his ipod, download the apps FROM HIS IPOD, sync back to his computer, and sign back in to his account. please note that the alternative can occasionally leave the user of the apps with an iphone that won't launch the apps you gave him. if this happens, just repeat the process to reinstall the apps. for both ways to do this, you can still update the apps, but for the second way, it has to be directly from his ipod