Sharing apps?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TippmannBaller, Dec 17, 2009.

1. TippmannBaller macrumors newbie

If I buy games, can my friend get them on his ipod for free using my cpu? Or will he have to buy them like I did?

2. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

I couldn't view the video link, so my apologies if I repeat what was said in the video.

There are two ways of sharing paid apps. The first is to log into the app store on your friend's iPod touch with your account. Then you simply find the games that you already bought, click buy now, and a message will pop up saying something along the lines of 'You have already purchased this game. Click ok to download again for free'. The second way is to copy the applications straight from your iTunes and give them to your friend via USB. He then has to go 'Store' on the menu bar at the top of iTunes, click authorize account, and enter your account name and password.

Note that sharing is limited to four other iPod Touchs. Happy sharing!

3. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Actually, it's 5 computers, unlimited devices (the same as songs).

Technically, the sharing this way is allowed for computers in your household - and you will see a post on here about someone who got apps from a friend that isn't anymore. You indeed need that persons PW to get them again.

There is also sharing as part of iTunes now, which is supposed to let you share libraries with other people in your house. I haven't tried it - i have a "sneakernet" system in place and it works well for the household (i'm assuming that was probably what was in the video).

4. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

Yes, it is 5 computers, but you can't have unlimited devices (unless you're never going to sync the other devices again). The reason is, when you download an app from itunes and try and load it to your device, the message “This application was not installed on the iPhone because you are not authorized for it on this computer” will come up. This means you have to authorize the computer to be able to use the app, and of course, only 5 computers can be authorized with one account. Alternatively, if you download the app straight onto your device, and it will function normally, but as soon as you sync your device, a similar message will appear telling you that unless you authorize the account on itunes the app will be deleted. So yes, in a way you are right, but it is not very practical.

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

One account -> 5 computers -> each computer can have unlimited iPod devices synced with it.

We have 6 iPods in the house right now, music can live on all of them.

The Apps do require you to have the computer you sync with authorized, which allows the transfer of them between the device and computer, but there is no appple imposed limit on the number of devices an app can reside on.

As long as the account is authorized.... And is "yours". I'd have to get up to quote that portion of the terms.

But it really IS unlimited devices - just might not be practical to have that many! Lol!