Sharing Bluetooth devices between computers using a USB Bluetooth dongle?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nerd05, Feb 9, 2013.

1. nerd05 macrumors newbie

I have a 27" Cinema display set up in my living room and I want all my roommates to be able to use it. My mouse of choice is a Magic Mouse, which is only Bluetooth, but I imagine it would be a real pain to have to re-pair and unpair constantly when switching to/from the monitor and having my roomies use the monitor while I'm nearby but not using it.

So my idea was to simply attach a USB Bluetooth dongle to the monitor and pair the mouse with that. That way, the mouse is always staying paired to a single device.

But thinking about it more, I'm pretty sure I have the same issue, since it's OS X that keeps track of what devices were paired to any of your Bluetooth cards. So even though the mouse thinks it's paired to the same device regardless, as soon as I connect a different laptop to the monitor, I'm back at square one since that computer doesn't know anything about that mouse.

Has anyone tried this? What setup works best for them?

2. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

If you unplug the ACD and plugin your roomies computer, it uses the mouse that is paired to that particular computer.

Or do you want to use a single Magic Mouse with multiple computers?