Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
I have an iMac and recently got a Macbook Air and iPad. They're all on the same wireless network.
Is there any way to share the data between them, so if I make a change to Calendar or a Pages document the change is automatically transferred to all devices? I use the iMac as my main computer but it would be nice if the others, especially the Air, stayed current.
Thanks for any help or advice, it's much appreciated!

Morod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Thanks for the idea, Mikael! I've managed to avoid online storage of most of my personal data, but I guess it's time to look into it. I wouldn't need it for Photos or anything but Documents and Calendar.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Hi
You can access other macs on the network.
I would store the pages docs in dropbox linked to all macs or use iCloud drive for your pages docs
you can share a doc with colleagues now
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT206181
The calandar changes will all sync if the macs are all logged in to the same iCloud account.
Notes, reminders, contacts, e-mail photos can also be set to sync between macs and iOS devices
Copy and paste also would sync
All macs would need to be on macOS Sierra for 'Collaboration' and copy - paste. sharing.
iPhones on iOS 10.
nb
iCloud drive is all thats needed.
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201104
Collaboration for sharing docs with work colleagues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Morod

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
Thanks for the idea, Mikael! I've managed to avoid online storage of most of my personal data, but I guess it's time to look into it. I wouldn't need it for Photos or anything but Documents and Calendar.
Well, there are ways where you don't rely on online storage - i.e. by setting up your own local server with the appropriate services - but they are considerably less simple to get working and considerably more error prone and data loss prone unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Reactions: Morod

Morod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks! Thanks for this. I had been using my desktop apps for calendars, mail, etc. But by going to icloud.com and using the applications there, all my stuff (that I allow) syncs between my computers. Thanks again, very helpful.

Reactions: Mikael H
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.