Sharing Desktop with a Client using Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sbryan, Jun 3, 2009.

1. sbryan macrumors member

Hello,

I'm looking to share a presentation with a client who's using Windows XP.

Skype has a beta version for Mac and Windows that has video conferencing features and a screensharing feature, but Skype is a complicated program for computer novices... the very people I'm presenting to over 600 miles away.

I'm looking for a free solution that works cross-platform. I must be able to share a presentation and communicate using audio. Video conferencing features are a plus.

Is there a solution for me?

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Well Skype is really about as easy as it gets, i can't think of anything else other than perhaps remote desktop but that is assuming Windows XP Pro than they client knows how to find there ip address.

If Skype has presentation functions then go for it but try it locally with a college on Windows so you can get any bugs ironed out before you are asked silly questions from the client.

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I would recommend TeamViewer (http://teamviewer.com/index.aspx). This program is free for a home user but you have to pay a fee to use it for commercial use which is what I am assuming you are doing with your client. I use it for home use to control and file share with my home desktop while I am using my macbook out of my house. To host you have to download the program but to receive you only have to download the teamviewer quick support which does not take long to set up. I recommend this program at least for home use because it is easy to use and simple to set up. Try it out and see how you like it. You could probably try it out for free and then pay for it if you want to use it for commercial use.

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

This may not be the right solution for you if you need to have audio. There is a chat feature on the program but I'm not sure if that would be enough for you. And I just looked at the pricing for commercial use and it is expensive which I did not realize. I would just use it for trial purposes if you want a free solution.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

What about using gotomeetings.com or something along those lines?

6. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

LogMeIn Pro has invitations to Mini-meetings and is super easy for the end user to accept your request to meet and share your desktop. You'd have to use a phone for voice though.

www.logmein.com

Cheers.

-J.-