Sharing dual monitors between MBP and 2nd laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DarkHeraldMage, Nov 10, 2015.

1. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I work at home from my Macbook Pro and have a nice dual monitor display in my office that I "dock" the laptop in when needed. My company has now issued me a Lenovo laptop (yuck) and expects me to use it for other things that my own laptop doesn't do.

So my question is this - has anyone ever used something like a KVM switch to share dual monitors between two computers? What I'm looking for is a device that I can plug the two monitors into via HDMI or DVI, then plug the two laptops into as well, and then I can switch back and forth between computers that I want to use the monitors for. Something like this also normally has USB ports so keyboard and mouse can be shared as well.

It's been many years, but a PC tech at a company I used to work for did something like this (though he only used one monitor at a time) and then connected multiple computers to it at once. This is how he sped up configuring multiple computers without cluttering his desk with a ton of monitors or having to move between desks. I'm essentially wanting to do the same.

Ideas?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

You're on the right track with a KVM switch, but I've no experience with recent ones so cannot recommend any.

3. dma550 macrumors 6502

I just completed this - at work I have a thunderbolt and 27" 2560x1440 IPS. When I take my machine home I share another 27" with my gaming rig. I tried a number of solutions, but am now using displayport to view and both work at 2560x1440 nicely. I am using a $70 Siig CE-KV0411-S1. It has three USB ports that get assigned on switch too, which is great for me as my Das Keyboard and Logitech gaming mouse follow the signal. The PC can switch via 2x scroll lock hotkey, but I have to use the app they give which sits in the mac tray to switch. No problems so far. I hope you have a Displayport. I have also used with less success a IOgear KVM. I liked it but the DVI was capped at 1080p.

4. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

It looks like that only works with one monitor shared between them and that won't work for my needs unfortunately. I'm honestly surprised there's not more support for this kind of thing now, especially with dual monitors being as prevalent as they are in the corporate world. For now I just have my own computer setup on the dual displays, and I keep my work laptop next to me for the few things I need it for each day. Inconvenient, but it's the only solution I have so far.