Sharing exFAT partition between OS X and Windows 7

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by camorra, Jun 21, 2012.

1. camorra macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have Mac Mini 2011 (10.7.4) with SSD drive and plugged in 500GB USB drive. On USB drive I have Time Machine and 3 exFAT partition. I share exFAT partition (from OS X) but when try access to this from Windows 7 I see message "Windows cannot access".

How share exFAT partition from OS X to Windows 7? It's possible?

(Why I use exFAT? Because I don't need install third-party software for read/write from OS X or Windows)

2. jpmcnown macrumors member

I have the same problem. I actually have a secondary partition on my Mac Mini OSX 10.8 that's exfat, that I can't share out to Windows 7. It sets up the share just fine, AND I can see it in the Windows Network, but I can't access it. The kicker, I'll bet you that your ExFat usb drive can shared on your mac, and be accessed from another Mac on the network without issue, because that's what I'm experiencing. Furthermore, I can access an ExFat partition shared out on my Windows 7 PC, FROM the Mac. Seriously Apple, wtf are you pulling? I called Apple, and of course, "It's a Windows issue".

Anyway. If anyone has any ideas, please speak up.

3. WSR macrumors regular

I'm using Snow Leopard, and I have a Toshiba portable harddrive, not SSD, that I formatted the entire drive in ExFAT to be able to share large files with a friend that has Windows XP. The only problem we had was that he had to install a driver for ExFAT in his machine. Once he did that, he was able to read it.

I tested it on a Windows 7 machine and it read it no problem.

So I think the only things different are which MacOS, type of HD, and partitions or not.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas.