Sharing Ext. Hard Drive between 2 MACs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mrblurr, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Mrblurr macrumors newbie

I'm trying to share a Western Digital My Book through USB on an iMAC running OS X 3.4 with a G5 running OS X 3.5 on the same connection (through router). Problem is, while I can see the hard drive and files on the iMAC, I cannot see the My Book external hard drive. I also cannot find an option to share it from the iMAC. I've enabled file sharing on both machines and still can't see the Drive.

Any help is appreciated.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You have to go to system preferences and go to sharing. From there, you should be able to pick the external drive and share it on the network.

3. Mrblurr thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a no go. Other computer (iMAC) could see the desktop and folders on it, but not the Hard Drive itself. I could make an alias of the Hard Drive but it wouldn't work when clicked on from the iMAC.

4. Mrblurr thread starter macrumors newbie

I've heard that if it's formatted in FAT32 and one of the MACs are formatted in NTFS then it won't work as well. This doesn't make any sense to me, but I'm a PC user.
    Is there another way to setup a Hard Drive to be shared by 2 MACs on the same network (through ethernet cable)?

5. jwilcox09 macrumors member

jwilcox09

Have you made sure the permissions of the folders/HDD allow for file access. I had a similar problem, but when I checked the perms in "Info" it was read/write only by my user and no one else.