Sharing External Drive & Public Folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by soberbrain, Aug 30, 2008.

1. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Hi folks,

I've previously set up, through File Sharing, an external USB drive and my public folder from my PowerBook to share over an Airport Express network with my girlfriend's iBook. Public folder to share files and the USB drive for our Time Machine back ups. (The USB drive has 3 partitions 1 for me, 1 for her, and 1 for iTunes videos.)

It has been working well for weeks and all of a sudden her iBook can't see the USB drive connected to my PowerBook. However, she can still see my Public folder.

Any thoughts on how to get her to see the USB drive again on her iBook?

Thanks in advance.

I'm busy this weekend with family stuff so I'm hoping to hear some suggestions. Otherwise I'll continue working on this on Monday.

(BTW, I've checked my settings and they match how Apple and forum threads suggest sharing an external drive over a network through File Sharing.)

2. MurphyM macrumors 6502

3. soberbrain thread starter macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Thanks for the link.

It seems to be an issue with OS X firewall. After disabling the firewall all connections worked as expected. So I've moved on to working with the firewall and trying out other firewall management apps. I was also having issues connecting the iTunes remote app unless the firewall was disabled.