sharing external drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by timcvolcano, May 13, 2011.

1. timcvolcano macrumors newbie

I have 2 macs , a macbook pro and a Macpro. I use an external hard drive to backup everything from the MacPro using time machine. I have setup the laptop using the external drive as a source. My intention is to open files from the external HD (connected by USB)from the laptop , edit them and then save them and then when I move onto the other machine , restore from time machine to keep everything in sync.

Seemed like a good idea except for some reason it says I dont have permission to save from the laptop to the external HD. Im confused about sharing (if thats the issue) but what I want is simple.....just let me have access to all files on both computers and the external HD , I want to be the only user and I want to globally make all file accessible to without any of this permissions nonsense. Any help will be much welcome as Im tearing my hair out .....why do they have to make it so complicated !

2. durhamj macrumors member

Nas?

I was going to suggest getting yourself a NAS Enclosure (DNS-321, or 323), or an Apple Time Capsule; but the TimeMachine (TM) has me wondering. I don't believe you can point TM to a NAS drive or if this will solve the permission problem. . :confused:

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Synology NAS's can handle Time Machine from multiple sources via one local user. My iMac and Mini are both backing up right now, actually. I wrote a review about the DS411J a couple months back. Here's the review. The 4-bay is probably overkill in your case. They sell a 2-bay and a 1-bay as well. The 2-bay can be used in RAID configuration so that if one drive inside dies, the data is still safe.