sharing external FAT hardrives

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jifop, Jul 20, 2009.

1. jifop macrumors newbie

hi guys, i have an interesting problem that I'm sure there is a simple answer to!

basically i am trying to share the USB HDD attached to my mac mini media centre so that i can add films etc to it from my MBP,

I have gone into "get info" and clicked shared folder on all three of my external drives one is OS Extended which i can now see on the MBP the other two are FAT32 but can't see them from the MBP, is this normal behavior?

thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you also shared them via System Preferences > Sharing?

[​IMG]

You can add a volume/HDD via the Shared Folders section.

3. jifop thread starter macrumors newbie

yes just checked there and they are shared for all user accessibility as afp and smb

disconnected and reconnected finder on the mbp to the mac mini and no still can't see them :(

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

And just to be sure: You have connected as an existing user on the Mac Mini?
    Meaning, the user exists on the Mini.

5. jifop thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, both as the main user and admistrator! its odd that i can see the os extended drive "serve2" but not the fat32 drive "serve1" as these are partitions of the same physical drive.

i was tempted to change them all over to os extended however my internet radio wont be able to stream from them if i do that.