Sharing external FireWire Drives

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Angelus520, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Angelus520 macrumors regular

I have several external FireWire drives and want to be able to access them on all the Macs I have at home (BlackBook, TiBook w/ Airport card, mini). I have an AEBS and I know I could hook the few that have USB up to that, but I don't have a USB hub. Is it possible to daisychain them together on the TiBook and then allow file sharing so the others can see them? I'm going to try it tonight when I get home but wanted to make sure that would work before hooking them all up.

Thanks!

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

should work as long as the given user has access.

3. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Under Leopard, no problems at all. Under Tiger, I needed to use Sharepoints to make it work (though that may not be the only way).

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

You can in theory "daisychain them together" though, I wonder IF they're bus-powered, is there sufficient current available to drive more than one unit...

However, this doesn't apply, if each of your drives have built-in power supplies or has an attached power-brick.

5. Angelus520 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, they all have separate power bricks. And I'll check out Sharepoints as I haven't upgraded the TiBook to Leopard yet.

Thanks!

6. andy.barron macrumors 6502

If its any help, I have several firewire drives (some daisychained) & USB drives connected to my main tower & shared to the rest of my home network.

A good way to ensure ease of use is to mount the drive externally & drag into the users account for auto mount at startup in login items.:)

7. Angelus520 thread starter macrumors regular

It was easier than I thought and didn't need Sharepoint. Updated all computers to the latest Tiger version and hooked up the FW drives to the TiBook. Hooked one USB drive to the AEBS and it registered just fine. Then I just went to Go - Network and all the drives were listed. Gotta love OSX!