Sharing External Hard Drive Issues (DLNA or two USB connections)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by otisore, May 30, 2013.

1. otisore macrumors newbie

Hello all, it's my first time posting here after years of using the site as an invaluable resource. Here's my situation that I'm frustratingly trying to resolve:

I have a WD external hard drive connected to an Airport Extreme and the hard drive is obviously shared across the network as a result. This has worked perfectly for years and has never been a problem. I just recently bought a Vizio Co Star streaming media box because its specs said it was able to access and play media storage devices shared across a network. My lack of knowledge of networks (but I should've known) has resulted in the Co Star not able to read the shared hard drive because the Airport Extreme is not DLNA compatible. Now, my only option (which I don't mind) is to connect the external hard drive to the Co Star directly via USB cable. However, in doing so, my external hard drive needs to be disconnected from the Airport Extreme and I lose the accessibility to all the shared media across the network.

Any thoughts on solutions? I don't think it's possible, but can a hard drive be connected to two devices with a USB splitter cable? Is there any way to make the Airport Extreme readable from the Co Star?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

No

3. otisore thread starter macrumors newbie

I had kinda assumed so, but I appreciate the confirmation. Thank you.