Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mazmaximus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2003
I know this might sound stupid but how do I alllow another identity in OSX10 to share files with the Admin. identity? I'm trying to allow my wife to get access to the pictures and music we have on the mac and I just can't get it. Thanx.

Mazmaximus.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Log in as yourself (admin), get info on the folders you want to give her access to, open up the "Ownership & Permissions" tab and grant her access that way. It would probably be the easies to give "others" read and write access, as well as any other groups that her ID is part of. You can then click the "Apply to enclosed items..." button and it should propigate to everything within the folder.

It would be easier if you just made your wife an admin of the computer as well. Or do you not trust her to not f*ck up the computer (either on purpose or by accident)??

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
there's also a directory /Users/Shared that you can put things in, the folder automatically has the correct permission for all users to use it--

pnw

unc32

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Store the files in under Hardisk/documents instead of your home folder. If you put your documents anywhere but your home folder then they will be accessable by all.

gerror

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2001
Netherlands
thanx guys,
I had the same issue since my sis and I living in the same building and I don't want her to see 'certain' files. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.